If you are a user of IBM's Rational Developer tools, you can install the Profound UI Eclipse Plugin to allow the visual designer to be opened inside of the Rational IDE. The plugin currently supports RDi (Rational Developer for i) 7.5 and all versions of RDP (Rational Developer for Power).
Installing Profound UI Plugin for Eclipse
Important Note for 64 bit Windows 7 users:
If you are running a 64 bit version of Windows 7, be sure to start RDi/RDP using the "Run as Administrator" option before installing the plugin. You do not need administrator rights in order to use the plugin, but you will need them during install.
Installing the plugin is very simple.
RDP 8.0 and above
- In Rational Developer, go to "Help > Install New Software..."
- Enter "http://www.profoundlogic.com/plugin" into the "Work with:" dialog box and click "Add".
- Next, enter a name for the site in the dialog that appears and click "OK".
- If you do not see the "Profound UI Plugins for Eclipse" option listed, uncheck the "Group items by category" option.
- Check the box next to "Profound UI Plugins for Eclipse" and click "Next".
- Click "Finish".
- You may see the following message about unsigned content. Please click "OK" to continue installation.
- Eclipse will ask to restart.
You have now installed the Profound UI Plugin for Eclipse.
- In Rational Developer, go to "Help > Software Updates..."
- Next take the option to "Add Site" on the right side of the window.
- Enter "http://www.profoundlogic.com/plugin" into the dialog that comes up.
- You will now see the ProfoundUI Feature listed under the new update site. Select it and press the "Install..." button.
- Eclipse will begin downloading and installing the Profound UI plugin.
- You will get a confirmation screen next. Make sure ProfoundUI Feature is selected and click "Finish".
- Eclipse will ask to restart.
Configuring Profound UI Plugin for Eclipse
Most users will not need to modify any settings but if you have changed the default port, directories, or you use SSL, you will want to go to the properties page and enter these values.
- Go to "Window > Preferences" in Eclipse.
- Under "Remote Systems" you will find a preference page for "Profound UI".
- Change the port, URL directories, or check the SSL box and click "OK".
Using Profound UI Plugin for Eclipse
The Profound UI PLugin for Eclipse can be utilized by navigating in Remote Systems Explorer to a Rich Display File source member. Once you find the Display File Source, right click it and select "Profound UI" from the pop up menu.
The first time the Designer is opened for a connection, you will be asked to log in just as you normally would when using the designer. Once you close Rational Developer, you will need to log in to the designer again.
The Profound UI Designer will open up inside of Eclipse in line with your other LPEX tabs with RPG, CL, or other types of code. If you do not have a high resolution monitor or the Designer looks too crowded, double click the Designer's Eclipse tab to maximize the Designer view.